Hello 5PP families! The Common Application has just published the following important information about the 2022-2023 college application process:
According to the Common Application:
“We know from our most recent survey on the topic that over 95% of every group who responded–students, counselors, teachers, and admission officers–agree that the prompts spark effective essays. That’s why we kept them the same last year…”
For our 5PP students who like to start preparing well in advance, this is great news! This announcement is a gift of time that will allow students ample opportunity to discuss, reflect on, and cultivate creative essay ideas and topics. We love the essay writing process and have helped hundreds of students craft essays that are unique, genuine, and impactful. We guide students in creating an application that helps admissions readers get a feel for them as an individual as well as a student. The point of a personal essay is for you to tell admission committees who you are and what you value. It’s never too early to start reflecting on your story by reading through the prompts below and think about topics, themes, and experiences that invite the reader to learn about YOU!
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
Finally, if you’re wondering about the COVID19 question, it too remains available for explanation on your application this year.
Are you an “early bird” student who likes to get a move on? Schedule your appointment with 5PP today, and let’s start brainstorming. We’ll help you during the writing process to ensure your essays are authentic and perfectly written!